Ice Cream and the Sound of Raindrops
- Wednesday, May 30, 20:00 Naxoshalle Kino
Aisu to amaoto
- Japan 2017, DCP, 74 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director and script: Daigo MATSUI
- Production: Humax Cinema
- Camera: Hiroki SHIOYA
- Music: MOROHA
- World sales: VAP, Dentsu
- Cast: Kokoro MORITA, Reiko TANAKA, Taketo TANAKA, Yuzu AOKI, Guama
- European premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Six teenagers are being selected through a casting process for the production of a special play in a small town. They are told that the theater production is supposed to bring out any anger or disappointment they are carrying in their hearts, and that the results will be used to decide who is ultimately selected for the show. Daigo MATSUI, who was inspired by real events, tells his story in one 74-minute take.
Daigo Matsui was born in Fukuoka Prefecture in 1985. During his studies at Keio University he established a theater group called “Gojigen”, which he still manages today. He made several short films, music videos, and worked as an actor. His first motion picture AFRO TANAKA was developed in 2012. Most of his films have been screened at numerous international film festivals.
2012 Afro Tanaka; 2013 Daily Lives of High School Boys (Danshi kokosei no nichijo); How Selfish I Am! (Jibun no koto bakari de nasakenakunaruyo); 2014 Sweet Poolside; 2015 Wonderful World End; Our Huff and Puff Journey (Watashitachi no ha ha); 2016 Japanese Girls Never Die (Azumi Haruko wa yukuefumei); 2018 Kimi ga kimi de kimi da
- Supporting film: SKIP CITY PRESENTS: NAGISA
- by Takeshi KOGAHARA, J 2017, 18 min, Japanese with English subtitles, EP
Two classmates, a boy and a girl, sit by the poolside during gym class and converse for the first time. Their conversation is trivial, but as the time goes by, her voice makes an impression in the boy’s mind. A bittersweet tale of adolescence.