La Terre abandonnée
- Tuesday, May 23, 20:00 Naxoshalle Kino
- Belgium 2016, Blu-ray, 73 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Gilles Laurent
- Camera: Laurent Fénart
- Production & world sales: Centre Vidéo de Bruxelles
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
The town of Tomioka was evacuated after the meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in 2011. Naoto MATSUMURA was the only one who refused to leave, and by now, other former inhabitants revisit their houses regularly, preparing to move back to their hometown as soon as possible. Their hopes may seem irrational, but Gilles Laurent’s impressive documentary focuses on their steadfast will to survive.
Gilles Laurent was born in Bouillon, Belgium, in 1969. He studied at the Institut national supérieur des arts du spectacle et des techniques de diffusion (INSAS) in Brussels and worked as a sound engineer for numerous documentary and feature film productions. Shortly before finishing his first film as a director, LA TERRE ABANDONNÉE, he died in the terror attacks in Brussels on March 22, 2016.
- Supporting film: What Happens Before War?
- by NOddIN, Japan 2015, 8 min, Japanese with English subtitles