Of Love & Law
- Saturday, June 2, 19:45 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan / UK / France 2017, DCP, 94 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Hikaru TODA
- Production: Little Stranger Films, Hakawati
- Camera: Jason Brooks
- World sales: Hakawati
- German premiere in the presence of the director and of the cutter and associate producer Takeshi HATA
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Kazu and Fumi are an openly gay couple, running a law firm in Osaka. They have a special dedication to cases concerning human and citizen rights. In a country that places high value on adhering to traditional norms, it can be seen as a challenge to take legal action against discrimination. Hikaru TODA sheds light on problematic aspects of Japanese society in her multi-award-winning film.
Hikaru TODA is a documentary filmmaker based in London and Osaka. Her films have been broadcast by various TV channels such as BBC and NHK and have also been screened at numerous international film festivals. For the documentary LOVE HOTEL, she worked as a co-director with Philip Cox in 2014. She moved back to Japan for the first time in 22 years to make OF LOVE & LAW.