Over The Fence
- Thursday, May 25, 20:00 Mousonturm Saal
- Friday, May 26, 20:00 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Japan 2016, DCP, 113 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Nobuhiro YAMASHITA
- Script: Ryo TAKADA based on a novel by Yasushi SATO
- Production: Twins Japan
- Camera: Ryuto KONDO
- World sales: Free Stone Productions
- Cast: Joe ODAGIRI, Yu AOI, Shota MATSUDA, Yukiya KITAMURA, Shinnosuke MITSUSHIMA
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Having fled from Tokyo after his divorce and attending a vocational school in order to continue receiving unemployment benefits, Shiraiwa is trapped in routine. One day, he meets Satoshi, who is passionately imitating the courtship dance of an ostrich. Both fascinated and irritated, he falls in love with her. OVER THE FENCE emphatically depicts people lost in a state of trance, performed by a strong ensemble cast.
Nobuhiro YAMASHITA, born in Aichi in 1976, studied at Osaka University of the Arts and then started his career at Planet Studyo +1 in Osaka. His debut feature film HAZY LIFE (1999) won the Off Theatre Prize at Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival. He had his commercial breakthrough with the comedy LINDA LINDA LINDA (2005). Known for his distinctive style, YAMASHITA has become one of the major protagonists of the Japanese film industry.
2006 The Matsugane Potshot Affair (Matsugane ransha jiken / NC ’07); 2007 A Gentle Breeze in the Village (Tennen kokekko / NC ’08); 2011 My Back Page (NC ’12); 2012 The Drudgery Train (Kueki ressha / NC ’13); 2013 Tamako in Moratorium (Moratoriamu Tamako / NC ’14), 2016 My Uncle