- Saturday, June 1, 12:00 Naxoshalle Kino
Buru awa ni buttobasu
- Japan 2019, 92 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Yuko HAKOTA
- Production & world sales: Bitters End
- Camera: Ryuto KONDO
- Cast: Kaho, Eun Kyung SHIM, Denden, Kaho MINAMI, Daichi WATANABE
- European premiere
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Trying to escape the frustrations in her life, Sunada decides to go on a road trip to her old hometown with her best friend. But reuniting with her family opens old wounds. In impressionist images and with a strong subjective touch, Yuko HAKOTA finds an intimate approach to her characters, while reflecting on the challenges and promises of human relationships.
Yuko HAKOTA was born in Ibaraki Prefecture in 1982. After graduating from Tokyo University of the Arts in 2005, she shot numerous commercial videos for Toyota, Shiseido, and Google, among others. BLUE HOUR (2019) is her first feature film, having received the Jury Special Award of the Tsutaya Creators’ Program for its project idea in 2016. The film had its world premiere at the Hongkong International Film Festival 2019.