From All Corners
- Tuesday, May 28, 19:45 Naxoshalle Kino
Tabi suru danboru
- Japan 2018, 93 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to all ages
- Director & camera: Ryusuke OKAJIMA
- Production & world sales: pictures dept.
- European premiere in the presence of the producer Yuko SHIOMAKI and of the protagonist Fuyuki SHIMAZU
- Competition Nippon Docs Award
Fuyuki SHIMAZU loves cardboard – especially when it’s colorful. He gave up his job to become a cardboard picker. With meticulous movements he transforms waste into wallets. For him, it is not just following a trend, it is a whole philosophy: See importance in everyday life and be careful with your resources. Director OKAJIMA transports this artist’s compelling message through video, photography, and animation.
Born in Sendai, Ryusuke OKAJIMA started his career as commercial editor in post production. In 2007, he moved to California where he first studied at Santa Barbara City College, later moving on to the International School of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles. After graduating, he worked as a freelance editor for music videos as well as several independent films and commercials. In 2015, he returned to Japan. FROM ALL CORNERS (2018) is his first feature-length documentary. The film made its world premiere at the 2018 SXSW Film Festival in the Documentary Spotlight competition.