Love At Least
- Friday, May 31, 16:45 Mousonturm Saal
- Saturday, June 1, 20:15 Mal Seh’n Kino
Ikiteru dake de, ai
- Japan 2018, 109 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Kosai SEKINE
- Script: Kosai SEKINE based on a novel by Yukiko MOTOYA
- Production: “Love At Least” Film Partners
- Camera: Toyotaro SHIGEMORI
- World sales: Nikkatsu
- Cast: Shuri, Masaki SUDA, Riisa NAKA, Naomi NISHIDA, Yutaka MATSUSHIGE
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Suffering from depression and hypersomnia, Yasuko almost never leaves the house, while her boyfriend Tsunaki provides for a living. Things begin to change with the unexpected arrival of Tsunaki’s ex-girlfriend, who is desperate to win him back. Shot on highly aesthetic 16mm film, LOVE AT LEAST is an authentic observation on mental illness in Japan – a topic that continues to be stigmatized.
Kosai SEKINE, born in Tokyo in 1976, graduated from Sophia University with a degree in philosophy. He went on to direct the short film RIGHT PLACE in 2005, and the following year, he won the Young Director Award Grand Prix at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. He has directed numerous commercials and music videos. LOVE AT LEAST is his first feature-length film. His documentary TOWER OF THE SUN (2018) is also shown at this year’s NIPPON CONNECTION Film Festival.