- Wednesday, May 29, 19:45 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan 2018, 80 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Kensei TAKAHASHI
- Production: Yellow Couple
- Camera: Haruka ITO
- World sales: ARTicle Films
- Cast: Satoshi ABE, Misaki MATSUZAKI, Arisa SATO, Seiya OKUDA, Seijuro MIMORI
- International premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
As a teenager, Hiroshi witnessed the rape of his classmate Rie by two class bullies. When he meets them again a few years later, he snaps. Those two events provide the basis for a fragmented portrait of a reclusive loner trying to cope with his past. Kensei TAKAHASHI’s debut deals with complex issues of guilt and atonement and condemns a patriarchal society where perpetrators act like victims.
Kensei TAKAHASHI was born in 1996 in Kitami, Hokkaido. At the age of ten, he found an old VHS-C camera and began dreaming of a career as a filmmaker. In 2014 he entered the Media Studies Department of Josai International University’s Media Studies Department, where he started producing short and medium length films. SEA is both his graduation project and feature length debut and was selected for the Japanese Cinema Splash section at the 2018 Tokyo International Film Festival.