- Friday, May 31, 19:00 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan 2018, 114 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Dai SAKO
- Production: TOEKICK★12, LibraryGarden, Office Shirous
- Camera: Tatsuya YAMADA
- World sales: Office Shirous
- Cast: Ren OSUGI, Reo TAMAOKI, Setsuko KARASUMA, Takeo GOZU, Noboru OGAWA
- International premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Thou shalt not kill, says the Bible. But does this commandment apply to the state as well? Prison chaplain Saeki regularly visits death row inmates, which leads him to reflect upon his own weaknesses. Dai SAKO presents an impressive chamber play about one of the taboo topics of the Japanese justice system, the death sentence. Actor Ren OSUGI, who passed away in 2018, gives his last brilliant performance.
Dai SAKO was born in Kanagawa Prefecture in 1971. After working successfully as a screenwriter, he gave his directorial debut with STILL PARADISE (2005). His follow-up feature RUNNING ON EMPTY (2009) was shown at various international film festivals. Having returned to writing film scripts for some years, he now presents his third feature film as a director with THE CHAPLAIN.